ACORN Members Deb and Davinia had a horrible house fire earlier this year, and have since discovered that there where multiple fire safety issues in their flats. There was only 1 fire alarm, in the basement of their 3-storey home, and even this alarm failed to go off. They were also told by an electrician in a post-fire inspection that several of the fuses in their ancient fusebox had been replaced by tin foil and paperclips! Despite the fire being in June, Spark and Sons (their lettings agent) hasn't provided any alternative accommodation for either of them, meaning Deb is still sleeping in the basement of the property! She can't return to her NHS job due to lung damage caused by smoke inhalation.
Now, Spark & Sons have retaliated to Deb and Davinia complaining by sending them an eviction notice. This is disgusting behaviour!
ACORN says this isn't good enough! Tenants pay through the nose for our homes and we deserve fire safety, and not to be evicted for complaining!
Join us and rally outside Spark & Sons to show them renters won't take this treatment lying down any more!