ACORN is looking for a Member Defence Organiser to build power to fight for social and economic change in Manchester, to start work on 4th October 2021.
ACORN is a mass membership organisation and a direct action community union. By taking action on issues that affect us, we win real changes to our lives and our communities. For more information, read our 'About ACORN' page here and the ACORN Platform here.
About the job
As an Organiser with ACORN, you will be responsible for recruiting, developing and supporting members to take action on issues affecting them and the communities they come from.
Member Defence is a section of our organising in which members come together to support an individual member’s issue through direct action. This could mean stopping evictions, winning housing repairs or safe accommodation for our members, or fighting for better conditions in the workplace.
As the role has a specific focus on organising with women across Manchester it is a requirement of the position that applicants are women.
You will be a Member Defence Organiser for ACORN in Manchester. Your daily work will involve:
- Recruiting individual ACORN Members through door-knocking, social media and outreach to womens’ organisations (door-knocking takes up around 50% of our organisers’ time),
- Identifying, and taking action on, issues that affect our members and their communities, proactively seeking to engage with women and womens' issues in the city,
- Identifying, developing and supporting potential leaders, focusing on growing and developing members and leaders with Member Defence,
- Building teams and managing members to fight Member Defence cases through direct action,
- Being the first point of contact for members of the community seeking support
ACORN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex*, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
*Except where a protected characteristic is a requirement for the role, as in this case
No formal qualifications are necessary. We’re primarily looking for someone with a strong work ethic, good listening skills and the ability to motivate others.
For more specific information on the role and its requirements, please refer to the Job Description and Selection Criteria.
ACORN is committed to investing in the continued professional development of our organising staff. Please refer to the Job Description and Selection Criteria for information on the training and support you will receive as an ACORN staff member.
£17,290 (Living Wage equivalent) - £18,000 starting salary, depending on level of experience
- Make a copy and complete the full Application Form, referring to the Job Description & Selection Criteria.
- Save your completed application form as a PDF with the file name <YOUR NAME, role> e.g. JANE SMITH Manchester MDO.pdf
- Submit via email to [email protected] with ‘Application: Manchester Member Defence Organiser’ as the subject line
- Once you have submitted your application please complete this diversity monitoring form
If you require paper versions of this application form & diversity monitoring form please write to [email protected].
The deadline for applications is 23:59 on Sunday 22nd August. Late applications will not be considered. All candidates will be contacted to let them know whether they have been successful in meeting our shortlisting criteria. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment day, involving an interview and two tasks. Currently due to the Government’s social distancing advice we are conducting assessments over Zoom video call. This may be subject to change if the Government’s guidelines change.
Assessment date 31st August.