ACORN is looking for a Member Defence Organiser to build power to fight for social and economic change in Bradford, to start work on 7th February 2022
ACORN is a mass membership organisation and a direct action community union. By taking action on issues that affect us, we win real changes to our lives and build power in our communities. For more information, read our 'About ACORN' page here and the ACORN Platform here.
About the job
As an Organiser with ACORN, you will be responsible for recruiting, developing and supporting members to take action on issues affecting them and the communities they come from.
You will be a Member Defence Organiser for ACORN in Bradford. Member Defence is a section of our organising in which members come together to support an individual member’s issue through direct action. This could mean stopping evictions, winning housing repairs or safe accommodation for our members, or fighting for fair treatment at work.
Your daily work will involve:
- Recruiting individual ACORN members through door-knocking, social media and other means (door-knocking takes up around 50% of our organisers’ time),
- Building and maintaining existing ACORN Local Groups and teams,
- Identifying, and taking action on, issues that affect our members and their communities with a particular focus on Member Defence,
- Identifying, developing and supporting potential leaders,
- Supporting elected leaders to enable them to carry out their roles.
ACORN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
No formal qualifications are necessary. We’re primarily looking for someone with a strong work ethic, good listening skills and the ability to motivate others.
The desired candidate will have a proficiency in communicating in Urdu and/or Punjabi, so that they are able to communicate verbally and in writing with the communities we serve (no formal qualification required).
For more specific information on the role and its requirements, please refer to the Job Description and Selection Criteria linked below.
ACORN is committed to investing in the continued professional development of our organising staff. Please refer to the Job Description and Selection Criteria for information on the training and support you will receive as an ACORN staff member.
£18,018 per annum
Cycle to work
Cycle to work scheme
Generous workplace policies, including wellbeing fund
Wellbeing resources incl. NHS app Thrive
1 week intensive training, 3 months daily and weekly training
- Make a copy and complete the full Application Form, referring to the Job Description & Selection Criteria.
- Save your completed application form as a PDF with the file name <YOUR NAME, role> e.g. JANE SMITH Bradford FO.pdf
- Submit via email to [email protected] with ‘Application: Bradford Field Organiser’ as the subject line
- Once you have submitted your application please complete this diversity monitoring form
If you require paper versions of this application form & diversity monitoring form please write to [email protected]
The deadline for applications is 11.59pm on Sunday 19th December 2021. Late applications will not be considered. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment day, involving an interview and two tasks.
Assessment date: w/c January 3rd 2022