ACORN is looking for a Field Organiser to build power to fight for social and economic change in Leeds, to start work on 15th November 2021.
ACORN is a mass membership organisation and a direct action community union. By taking action on issues that affect us, we win real changes to our lives and build power in our communities. For more information, read our 'About ACORN' page here and the ACORN Platform here.
About the job
As an Organiser with ACORN, you will be responsible for recruiting, developing and supporting members to take action on issues affecting them and the communities they come from.
You will be a Field Organiser for ACORN in Leeds. Your daily work will involve:
- Recruiting individual ACORN Members through door-knocking, social media and other means (door-knocking takes up around 50% of our organisers’ time),
- Building and maintaining existing ACORN Local Groups and teams,
- Identifying, and taking action on, issues that affect our members and their communities,
- Identifying, developing and supporting potential leaders,
- Supporting elected leaders to enable them to carry out their roles.
ACORN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
As the role has a specific focus on organising with women across Leeds it is a requirement of the position that applicants are women.
No formal qualifications are necessary. We’re primarily looking for someone with a strong work ethic, good listening skills and the ability to motivate others.
For more specific information on the role and its requirements, please refer to the job description and selection criteria linked below.
ACORN is committed to investing in the continued professional development of our organising staff. Please refer to the Job Description and Selection Criteria for information on the training and support you will receive as an ACORN staff member.
£18,000 starting salary
- Make a copy and complete the full Application Form, referring to the Job Description, Person Specification & Selection Criteria.
- Save your completed application form as a PDF with the file name <YOUR NAME, role> e.g. JANE SMITH Bradford FO.pdf
- Submit via email to [email protected] with ‘Application: Leeds FO’ as the subject line
- Once you have submitted your application please complete this diversity monitoring form
If you require paper versions of this application form & diversity monitoring form please write to [email protected].
The deadline for applications is 23:59 on Sunday October 3rd. Late applications will not be considered. All candidates will be contacted to let them know whether they have been successful in meeting our shortlisting criteria. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment day, involving an interview and two tasks. Currently due to the Government’s social distancing advice we are conducting assessments over Zoom video call. This may be subject to change if the Government’s guidelines change.
Assessment date: 13th October.